Sunday, July 17, 2011

Babies (2010)

Originally written October 18, 2010 at 8:11 pm
While eating dinner with my family we decided to watch a family friendly movie. We overruled my daughter and refused to watch yet another Scooby Doo movie. Instead we queued up Babies on netflix.


Babies is a documentary following several babies from birth through about 2 years old. One baby is from Namibia, one from Mongolia, one from Tokyo and one from San Francisco. There is very little talking and no narration. The director instead allows the story to tell its self. The focus is on the babies, and the parents are only there when interacting with the baby. The differences in cultures and parenting styles is amazing. To go from the traditional tribal life of Namibia to the yuppie San Francisco family is an amazing contrast. For instance the baby in Africa plays in the dirt, and puts bones from off the ground in his mouth etc. The parents in San Francisco take a lint brush to their baby. The baby in Mongolia wanders around farm animals, while the baby in Tokyo is surrounded by technology. Along with the contrasts go the uncanny similarities. Apparently all children, including my own, like to torture cats. This leads me to believe that disliking cats is instinctual and thus intended by God. Further incentive for me to get rid of my wife's two cats. My wife of course disagrees. LOL But I digress.


The cinematography is above average for a documentary. Some people may be shocked to see a PG rated movie with bare breasts, but they are not there for sexual purposes. They are there during feeding etc. My four year old daughter never even mentioned them, she asked more about the red clay the women in Africa put in their hair and rub on their bodies, etc. My wife and I spent a lot of time laughing and remembering our children doing similar things to the babies in the movie. I spent a fair amount of time rolling my eyes at the San Francisco peeps. I was waiting to see the baby in a PETA onesie or something. Tells you something about a city when you can relate more to the parenting style of an indigenous tribe half a world away, than with people a couple hundred miles away. LOL.


All in all I enjoyed the documentary as did my wife and daughter. It is worth seeing, but I wouldn't recommend buying it. I give it 7.5 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment