Sunday, July 17, 2011

G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra (2009)

Originally written September 29, 2010 at 6:00 am
Like nearly every man my age, I loved GI Joe when I was a little kid. Watching it was a staple of my weekend. When I saw they were making a movie of it, I had very low expectations. As such there was no way I was going to go and see it in the theater, nor was I going to pay money to rent it. Since it was a streamable movie on Netflix, I thought I would give it a try.


The movie exceeded my very low expectations, but just barely. The movie is extremely cheesy, but to be fair, so was the cartoon. The plot is far fetched and strained, but again, so were the plots in the cartoon. The choreography in the fight scenes is pretty good, but most of the action sequences are mostly CG.


For some reason they tried to add in Jackie Chan style humor to a fight between a young Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow. It just didn't fit and added nothing to the movie. The physics of the movie kept changing. Toward the beginning of the movie Cobra soldiers are impervious to bullets/arrows/etc, but as the movie goes on their body armor seems to be as effective as a your standard issue US Army brown t-shirt. (SPOILER ALERT) Then there was the final sequence leading to the climax where Cobra detonates the ice above their secret underwater base. The ice sinks... Yeah.... So anyway. I won't even touch on the acting.


They totally left the movie open to a sequel. I checked and there is indeed a sequel being made. I'm not sure if that is a good thing or bad. They have a chance to redeem themselves, but there are very few instances where a sequel is better than the first installment. The writers for the sequel are the guys who wrote Zombieland so I'm guessing there will be more humor this time around.


In closing if you manage to shut your brain off and watch it as if you were 6 years old again, you will probably find it entertaining. I would discourage renting this. Let a buddy rent it, or stream it from Netflix, etc. I give it a 4.5 / 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment