Sunday, July 17, 2011

Highlander 2 (1990)



Originally written October 14, 2010 at 5:00 am
Well if there was ever a sequel that was worse than the original, this would be it. The film links to the first movie, but at the same time totally disregards the plot and back story of the movie. Let me explain. In the first film part of the story is that MacLeod (Lambert) is killed in a battle between clans and suddenly comes back to life. He was amazed, his clansmen were amazed. He talks to his family and mentions knowing him his whole life implying he was born there. He has no idea he is immortal until Ramirez (Connery) finds him and explains. Yet in Highlander 2, MacLeod and Ramirez are rebel leaders on a distant planet hundreds of years ago. The two of them are banished to the future to be immortals. They know this, and throughout the movie reference it. When bad guys come from the past to attack MacLeod they are transported whole, adult, and fully aware. I won't even get into the totally illogical major plot line.


The acting was equally atrocious. Connery is his normal self and was the only one who played his character even somewhat well. Although I would count it as one of his worst performances. The special effects were terrible but that could just be due to the technology of the time the movie was made. I tried to watch it with that in mind, but they still seemed bad even by those standards.
While the characters in the movie seem to be able to move through time, I can not. If I could, I would go back and take the movie out of my Netflix queue and saved two hours of my life and watched a, hopefully, better movie. I give it a 2 / 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment