Sunday, July 17, 2011

Fireproof (2008)

Originally written October 14, 2008
My buddy and I just went to see the movie Fireproof. What I didn't know until after watching it, was that it was the third time he had seen it. Once at his family's prompting, once with his wife and then with me. He said, and I agree, that the movie held a couple of paradigm shifts for him. It did for me too.


In Fireproof, Kirk Cameron plays a firefighter who's marriage is falling apart after several years. When divorce seems imminent he calls his father, played by John Holt (a real life pastor), who challenges him to wait forty days. Holt gives Cameron a book titled "The Love Dare." in which he is challenged daily to work on his marriage through small actions.


Fireproof is a Christian film that has managed to make it into the top 10 despite having a total production budget of around $500,000 and only opening in a handful of theaters (1/4 the number of the other films in the top 10). The production quality is surprisingly high for a Christian film production. The acting is pretty good though not likely to earn any major nominations. There were a few moments where Kirk Cameron's performance was a little corny, but all in all he did quite well. A supporting actor that gave a great performance was Ken Bevel (in real life a full time Captain in the USMC...don't hold it against him though. GO ARMY!!) Bevel played Cameron's friend and co-worker. His performance was excellent, and very believable. I hope to see more of him in future films and see how his talent develops.


The message of the movie was profound and has been leading people to Christ and convincing people to seek to improve their marriage. In addition to making 33x as much money as was spent to make it, the film is changing lives for the better. My buddy and I left the theater, drove to Barnes & Noble and bought the book "The Love Dare." They had just gotten it in and were scanning it into the inventory when we walked in and asked for it. Good timing.


I would highly encourage going to see this film, especially if you are in a Christian relationship, or are a Christian that is unevenly yoked. Take your significant other with you. Non-Christians may feel the movie is too faith based and thus may not enjoy it as much. I'm planning on taking Lisa to see it and would like to get my parents and my in-laws to go as well.
Recommendation:Go See, take your significant other.

No comments:

Post a Comment