Sunday, July 17, 2011

Highlander (1986)

Originally written October 14, 2010 at 4:29 am
I am ashamed to admit it, but I have been a fan of the Highlander series since I was a kid. I hadn't seen the movies since the early 90's though. I watched the whole series of Highlander on hulu.com and enjoyed it despite all its many shortcomings and cheese.


When I got Netflix, I thought I would revisit the movies. The first one I watched was the one that started it all. Highlander. First released when I was 5 years old back in 1986. I went into it excited to revisit a movie I loved as a kid. Sean Connery, Christopher Lambert, sword fighting, immortality; the makings of a great movie.


Boy was I wrong. I have no idea what I was thinking when I was a kid, but man this movie was horrible. The acting was atrocious, and the dialog horrible. It was everything that was wrong with movies in the 80's rolled into one movie. There were some humorous parts of the movie that were done well. Much of the interaction between Ramirez (Connery) and MacLeod (Lambert) set in 15th Century Scotland was  entertaining. However everything set in "modern day" was horrible. Come to think of it, all of my fond memories of the movie from when I was a kid, were the scenes set in the 15th Century.


The movie is so bad it is Toxic Avenger bad. For this reason I still kind of like it. But it is more of a kind of Mystery Science Theater 3000 affection. I will never again watch that movie unless it is with a group of friends all joking about it while watching it. I would discourage anyone from wasting two hours of their life on this movie, unless they are having a horrible movie marathon with friends. I give it a 3 / 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment