Sunday, July 17, 2011

Skyline (2010)

Originally written November 23, 2010 at 3:02 am
When I first saw the previews for the movie Skyline, my first thought was "That looks FREAKING AWESOME!"


Tony Route and I are the Siskel & Ebert of the department. We go to the movies frequently. Amazingly, every time one of us has a free ticket the movie turns out to be horrible. As Tony and I were walking up to the theater to purchase tickets to watch Skyline, Tony told me he had a free ticket. I told him I hoped we didn't continue our trend. Unfortunately....we did.


Lets start with the good. The CG in Skyline is great, really top notch. The special effects are very good overall as was the cinematography. The movie delivers quite a bit of action for action junkies.
The lead characters are very attractive. Skyline stars staring Eric Balfour and Scottie Thompson. You may know Balfour as Duke on the TV show Haven, or from the series 24. Thompson is probably best known for the TV series Trauma and NCIS. Thompson is smoking, as are the other female characters. I'm sure women find Balfour attractive since everything I've ever seen him in they always find a way to incorporate him without a shirt. The two bring attractive leads to the movie, but that is about it. Acting is about average.


Now for the bad. The plot. Where was it? I have never seen a movie more devoid of purpose or meaning. Hell, even GI Joe had a plot. This movie was basically "Look the aliens are kicking ass, we are so screwed." "Oh look I'm an alien." The end. Skyline could have been condensed down into about 15 minutes and served as lead in to the next movie. Because they obviously set it up for a sequel. However not since Evil Dead has a movie this bad gotten a sequel. And Evil Dead was so bad it was great. This movie is just bad. I doubt this movie will see enough success to get a sequel. If it does, I pray it redeems this movie; because this movie can not stand on its own merits.


If you insist on seeing this movie wait till it comes out on Netflix, or it makes it to the $3.00 movie theater. I give it a 5 / 10. The only reason it scores that high is because it looks great. If the special effects and cinematography matched the rest of the movie in quality it would only score a 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment